Once upon a time, likely in the second half of 2019, likely while sipping my morning coffee, I was cruising Instagram. I say this like it was a rare event instead of a daily ritual, but on an otherwise unremarkable day, I saw this:
I thought it was brilliant. I still do. I snapped a picture so as not to have it disappear into the fog of “I know I saw something cool, but where?”. I had a serious hunt for the designer and pattern, but didn’t find them. In truth, I was just trying to give credit for the design. I had already decided how I would try it out.
It seems many of my posts start the same way. “My daughter’s friend is expecting a baby/getting married…” I have two daughters, one on either side of 30. This Christmas, the game was to drink to each of their friends who announced an engagement over the holidays. The count was at 17 when I left to come home on December 30. It didn’t include the ones who said “Yes!” as the new year was rung in. Just as well I came home when I did; my aging liver would never have withstood the celebrating.
So… one of my daughters has a friend who was expecting her second baby. I had made a quilt for the first one a few years ago; she loved it. Now, those of us who have had two children know that there are always fewer pictures and presents and moments of wonder with the younger child. This is in no way a reflection of the love that we feel for the little one, but it is pretty hard to explain as she grows older and wonders why there is only one volume of pictures from her first year, not the three starring her older sister. This new baby needed a quilt.
My first thought was that the blocks should be 6″x6″ and the contrasting background path 3″. I had some orphan Tula Pink City Sampler Blocks that I could use to make the quilt in no time. I started putting them on the design wall.
I studied the picture again and realized the blocks were in two sizes, 6″x6″ and 3″x6″, and those two sizes were necessary because of the additional 3″ of path in each row. I quickly made a few 3″x6″ blocks and was underway.
As with many quilts, it developed a life of its own. I ended up using only three of the orphan Tula blocks. The colours of the others weren’t right for the progression I wanted; colour became the most important criteria for fabric selection. The most important criteria until I realized I was making an I Spy quilt. Suddenly, I was on a hunt for a turquoise cat, and then a blue dog, and then… I had so much fun rifling through my fabric stacks in search of just the right piece!
And then it was together. I dumped it on the spare bed and snapped a picture.
There was a pretty piece of pink flannel in my stash for a back. I quilted a boxy meander on the white path, and a bit of free motion on the blocks. Unfortunately, weather and time did not cooperate for pictures, so I don’t have a good one of the quilting. I do have one taken at my daughter’s home in Ontario, just before it went to Freddie (Fredericka).The bright sunshine of Christmas in Niagara washed out the colours a little, but I thought it looked sweet anyway. I hope that sunshine blesses little Freddie throughout her life.
Linking up with mmmquilts TGIFF.