Last month when I visited my younger daughter in St. Catharines, I somehow found myself in Kindred Spirits Quilt Co. I know not how this happened, but it involved a GPS and a rented car. I have too much fabric. I do not need more, but the deer in the Chloe line from Northcott drew me like a magnet, and before I knew it, a number of half yard cuts and fat quarters were mine.
That fabric has been calling me since I got home until, finally, I abandoned my UFOs and quilt alongs and cut into it. The DrEAMi! project was inspired by the Garden Party Placemats of Vivika Hansen Denegre, published in Make it! Patchwork (2017), from the editors of Modern Patchwork. I didn’t follow her directions precisely, but used her methods as guidelines, and they were great. Strip sets were made, cut into sections, pieced to other sets and then trimmed again.
They are backed with batik I bought years ago and still love. There is a 1/2″ seam through the back so the placemats could be sewn around all edges, then turned. I sewed almost half way along the seam with a regular stitch, backstitched, then switched to a long basting stitch for a couple inches, switched back to regular stitch, backstitched, and continued to the end. When it’s time to turn, I simply removed the basting stitches, and had an opening for turning. I then closed the gap with a small pieced of iron on adhesive. Could have hand stitched them but wasn’t in the mood.
When they were turned and pressed, I did some random straight lines and corners with the walking foot, and they were done. And now I have some everyday placemats to spill gravy on. I’m hoping they’re busy enough to conceal my mess.
May you always have food to eat, even if you don’t have placemats like mine.
Linking up with Sandra’s squirrel parade of DrEAMi! projects.