Mawwiage. That bwessed awwaingement. That dweam wivvin a dweam. And Wuv, twue wuv, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah.
These words are from the movie, The Princess Bride, and were read at my daughter’s wedding last month. What could be a better name for the wedding quilt?
I’ve made a few wedding quilts for Margaret to give her close friends, so when she and James announced their engagement last year, I started thinking about what theirs should be like.
While passing time in Heathrow airport, I bought a quilting magazine, saw an ad for the Bumblebee collection by Tilda, and ordered a half meter bundle of it. Luckily, my other daughter, Maura, was studying in London, so I could use her address for cheaper shipping. It was an expensive flight delay nonetheless, but when the fabric arrived, I realized it was perfect for Margaret. It stood firmly on the line between my bright colours, and her much more muted preferred palette; we both loved it. Here are some of the scraps.
What pattern to use? Her only request was that it should include scallops, and fit her king size bed. After months of indecision, I realized the rather romantic fabric called for a classic pattern, and decided on a double wedding ring variation, Metro Rings by Sew Kind of Wonderful. I headed off to my LQS to find some solids. The choice of cream background was easy, as was the turquoise. I originally chose yellow for the second contrast colour but it didn’t do it’s job of contrasting with the background, and lost it’s place to green, after the trial blocks were made.
And then the curved piecing started. And went on. And on. Through two retreats and many early mornings, those blocks took shape. All 100 of them. In order to have a scalloped edge, I added a border of background, but also used stitch and flip triangles to finish each diamond of contrasting colours on the outside edges. Would it fit on my 10 foot longarm rails? The flimsy measured 106 inches and I needed a few inches extra for the backing. My leaders weren’t the full length of my rails, and the machine mount took up space too. I was scared to find out.
For the back, I used the widest muslin I could find, and still had to piece it. Just as well. I added a panel to personalize it with the bride and groom’s initials made from left over wedding bow tie fabric, and a heart from SparkleStash, enlarged to 10 inches.
As you can guess from the above picture, it did fit. Just. When I extended one end of the backing past the leader end, the other finished with room to thread my machine, which was all I needed. I marked the scallops with a water soluble pen, using the quick curve quilting ruler to define the curves. The highest point of each curve was directly above the seam joining the blocks, and the corners were the same curves intersecting, with just a little bit of freehand rounding. Hopefully, you can see what I’m trying to say when you study the picture. And that I’m trying to get a decent picture.
What you don’t see is the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. There was too much fog on the only day the quilt had a chance to visit them, during her short honeymoon in the Niagara region, where I hand sewed the bias binding and visited Maura. The good news is that the dull lighting showed off the quilting better than bright sunlight might have done. And that we had a huge breakfast at the Flying Saucer restaurant while we waited for the drizzle to stop. Next time we’ll share an order.
Last night I delivered her to her new owners, Margaret and James Hanley, my daughter and son-in-law. My hope is that they will feel wrapped in love when they use it.
And here is a picture of the happy couple, taken by Candace Berry, wedding photographer extraordinaire, in Polly’s Cove, Nova Scotia.Linking up with Myra of Busy Hands Quilts at Finished or not Friday